The appellations of calvados - read more about "terroir", labels and much more in the book (includes many pictures and illustrations).
Like most French regional products with unique traditions, calvados is governed by an ‘appellation contrôlée’ system. It’s a set of rules designed to guarantee and maintain the characteristics and quality of the product and its century-old traditions.
There are three named types of AOC with slightly different regulations:
• ‘AOC calvados’ – the basic appellation.AOC calvados makes up for over 70 percent of the total production.
• Minimum of two years ageing in oak barrels.
• The ‘terroir’, geographical area, is defined.
• The apples and pears are defined cider varieties.
• The procedures in production like pressing, fermentation, distillation and ageing is regulated.
• Usually single column distillation.